The first record that mentions Suhopolje dates from 1763, and it contains data on construction of a manor in 1750. The village was quickly constructed around the manor, and its development during 18th and 19th century was connected to the Vućin lordship. This lordship was possessed until 1765 by the noble family Caraffa, who returned it to the administration of the Imperial Chamber.
In 1771, Suhopolje changed its name to Terezovac, and the magistrate lived in it. The Vućin lordship was obtained by the noble family Janković, whose successors retained the claim until 1931, when they sold it to the Bank of Croatia-Slavonia in Zagreb, together with the castle and the beautiful park.
The church of St. Theresa, built in classicist style from 1807 until 1816, stands out for its beauty, while on localities Pepelana, Zvonimirovo and Orešac one can find significant archeological sites from prehistoric age, as well as the Roman era. The settlement is a market town, and the agriculture is developed as well, particularly the production of seeds. The 15th of August, the Assumption of Mary, is also the day of the municipality of Suhopolje.
THE SUHOPOLJE CASTLE
The existing buildings of the Suhopolje castle, together with the park around them, are the remains of the once great lordship. The first buildings on the location of the present-day castle were built in mid-18th century, during the foundation of Suhopolje, then part of the Vučin lordship (Dominium Vuchin), owned by the noble family Carffa. The Count Uto Caraffa sold the Vučin lordship in 1765 to the Imperial Chamber, and during the next ten or so years, that corresponded with the affiliation with the Imperial Chamber, Suhopolje went through significant changes: the name of the settlement was changed to Terezovac, the magistrate of the entire lordship resided there, and what is most important, the large compound of administrative and commercial buildings was built. The main part of the present-day castle, and there are three buildings, originates from those times. The Chamber constructed the new, large compound of buildings in Suhopolje in 1775.
They were built on the location where buildings already existed, but they were completely built-in during the construction, and there remains are now recognized as the oldest layer in the substructure of the existing buildings.
The core of the new compound consisted of three buildings – main single-story house with large attic roof, and alongside it, two vertically placed, detached, elongated ground floor houses.
Most of the rooms of the main building served as the apartment of the magistrate, while in the small part of the ground floor the administrative functions took place. At the same time, in the two lateral ground floor wings, the commercial activities took place, but those were also the premises of senior officials – the grain trader and the main accountant. Alongside the main three buildings, there were numerous auxiliary commercial objects – barns, woodsheds, marquees, drying rooms, storage rooms, etc. All of them were arranged and organized around two internal courtyards, and the entire compound was surrounded by a walled fence with large entry doors. Therefore, the Chamber had built a large, late Baroque, manorial compound in Suhopolje, that very closely combined residence with various commercial and administrative activities.
Soon after the construction in Suhopolje, the Chamber sold the Vučin lordship, and from the end of the 18th century it was owned by the noble family Jankovich de Pribert. The new owners, to spend time in Suhopolje occasionally or for longer periods, desperately needed to refine the residential function of the existing buildings and adapt its equipment and overall ambience to their class requirements. Therefore, it was necessary to eliminate dirty commercial activities from the proximity of the residence, and the entire ensemble had to be united and refined by horticultural landscaping, which was done at the turn of the 19th century.
The three existing main buildings were fully retained, they were not adapted by construction works, and most likely only the interior of the main building, the single-story house with large attic roof covered by shingle was appropriately arranged. All existing auxiliary objects and commercial activities from the southern side were removed, and there, as well as on the northern side, a spacious garden was arranged. Still, the eastern commercial courtyard was retained, since its position was sufficiently detached from the residential part, and alongside the castle and the park from the western side, the large barns with manège were built, with other commercial activities in their extension.
Therefore, the compound was obviously altered several times during the early ownership of the Jankovich de Pribert family, with relatively small construction works, and the existing large commercial facility was redesigned into an elegant manor seat – typical late Baroque castle surrounded by a garden. The stylistic affiliation with Baroque was confirmed by the attic roof on the main building, proportions, vaulting in all the rooms of the main buildings, both on ground floor and up the stairs, as well as the facades.
During the large renovation and extensive construction works undertaken in 1870s by the owner of the Terezovac lordship, Josip Jankovich de Pribert et Vuchin, the main building of the castle was thoroughly redesigned. The renovation was performed primarily because of the deterioration and age of the buildings; probably the vaulting up the stairs was already statically compromised, which is suggested by the fact that it was removed and replaced by flat ceilings. The compound was thoroughly altered. The compact attic roof was removed and replaced by the new roofing, which was indented, but simple and much lower. The two new overhangs alongside the northern and southern facade were build, as well as the terrace on the northern front and wooden pavilion on the southern front.
In the interior, up the stairs and partially on the ground floor, the new wooden ceilings were constructed instead of the existing vaulting, and the old wooden staircase was replaced by the new, semi-circular stone staircase. The facades were restructured so that the cordon wreath was annexed to the existing Baroque wall, which increased the height of the walls, and the corners of the building were highlighted by applying the terracotta sculptures. On the northern front, above the annexed overhang, a tympanum with large family crest was built.
This renovation completely swept away the Baroque exterior of the main building of the castle – the proportions, attic roof, facades, while in the interior, after the removal of the vaulting, the earlier Baroque ambient had vanished. After the renovation, the building was a true example of neo-stylistic eclecticism – the composition of complex volumes with elements of classicism, and these shaped principles were often used in construction of villas in the second half of the 19th century. The next, and the last quality upgrade of the Suhopolje castle, was done by Elemer Jankovich – Beszan de Pribert et Vuchin right before the Word War I. After the death of his wife Ilka, he first built the neo-Gothic chapel at the end of the garden, and then alongside the main building from the western side, he built an entrance garden and decorated the fronts of the auxiliary buildings.
During this intervention on the Suhopolje castle, probably under the influence of the Millennial Exhibition in Budapest, various picturesque neo-Gothic decorative elements were selected from the repertoire of belated Romanticism – battlements and turrets, on the main building exclusively on the segment of the newly-built entrance pavilion, while at the same time, on the front facades of both wings, the neo-Gothic graded gables were performed. This final neo-stylistic upgrade was appended directly to the somewhat older historicistic structure and form (which originated in the 1870s), and indirectly to the older layers from the Baroque.
Professor Božica Valentić and Tone Papić, architect